Should I be writing? Yes. Am I writing? No.
posted on Jul. 7, 2016, at 1:23 p.m.
1. When other people don’t understand the writing process.
2. When the block hits.
3. When your autobiography is a blank page.
4. When you start cashing in on your riches early.
5. When your characters are just trying to be natural.
6. Or when you’re trying to reach new emotional depths.
7. When you write with film in mind.
8. When you’ve got to keep writing.
9. When you’re facing the biggest problem of all.
10. And when your skills are also your downfall.
11. When you’ve got to be ruthless.
12. And playing God isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.
13. When you manage to shock even yourself.
14. When a character you’ve created has the nerve to cause trouble to your writing process.
15. When you’re reminded of your humble beginnings.
16. When writing and assassination walk hand in hand.
17. When people come up with genius ideas that you obviously haven’t thought of yet.
18. When your brain is trying to fuck you up.
19. When people try to tear down your hopes and dreams.
20. But your plan B is just as strong as plan A.
21. When you just don’t understand.
22. And you realise your masterpiece just doesn’t make sense anymore.
Ben Henry is a junior staff writer for BuzzFeed UK and is based in London.